Feb 2, 2008

Dreams from the Sea - Motel

I am working on a series of smaller pieces that I call "Dreams from the Sea". It's my first attempt at bringing a theme that is meaningful to me to life through my assemblage work. I have always been strongly connected with the sea; from my holidays as a child, my trekking about the coast as a young girl to marrying a Clearance Diver in the RAN and living near it for all of my adult life. I have always had a facination with kitchy souviers and with beachcombing. Here in this series I am bringing together my memories of the sea and travel with these interests. This piece depicts a wonderful night spent in what my children refer to as the "Bates Motel". I love the charm of these old seaside motels with their shell art and shambling bulidings. My children on the other hand had to shower with the curtain open and Mum sitting outside the door.

No comments: